Thursday, August 16, 2012

So Many Things To Tell!

Many things have happened since I last posted! Most importantly, Carmen! Carmen is a Black Copper Marans hatched on April 26th. She is older than my flock, but not laying yet.


I had a two-hour drive to go pick her up, and on the way home she laid in my lap and clucked (Carmen honks, really) the whole way home! I was very impressed with such good behavior. I got her from a very nice lady who breeds all sorts of chickens (of which I am very jealous), and I will definitely go to her if I ever need any advice on the show world of chickens! I have not yet introduced Carmen to my girls, but I will put her in with them tonight so I will try to post pictures of everybody together tomorrow!

 Carmen refreshing herself after her long trip home!
 Posing - a photogenic chicken already!
Then she's off to explore the yard!
The other ladies were eating in the coop when I came with my camera, but I took some photos of the completed run without them!
I think chain link is ugly, but it was easy to put up so I am not complaining. I covered it with hardware cloth and lined the interior with hardware cloth as well.
 As you can see I painted the coop green - not exactly the color I was hoping for but since this isn't a long-term arrangement I didn't bother to test first.
 I converted a dog door to be their pop door and so far its worked pretty well! Since I had been practicing using the ladder with the girls they had no trouble scampering out when the run was finished. Here they are just sitting in front of the door inside the coop for a breeze and some shade.

The door can be lifted up easily from this side by just pulling on the string, but I have to work on getting it to slide down on its own. I think some lubrication might work.

No comments:

Post a Comment